View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 AM
AV81596
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Hacker15e View Post
There is absolutely nothing to be gained by not being 100% up front with everything that could be vaguely construed as a training failure -- even if reporting it is overly conservative.

Let's remember that for the most part these self-reporting requests on airline applications are honesty/integrity checks. You're not ruining your chances of getting an interview call by reporting that UPT Midphase Check bust when there's no way the airline could have otherwise found out about it if you didn't tell them.

Here's a dose of reality: the major airlines have (and continue to) hire guys with massive black marks on their records: civil arrests and infractions, military discipline like Art 15s, Class A accidents where pilots were found at fault, multiple Q3s, pilots grounded by FEBs and FNAEBs, etc. Real, no-kidding black marks.

If you're still worried about if you should or shouldn't list that UPT checkride bust, realize that the guys who listed all of the above stuff on their applications were hired at legacy airlines during this hiring spree of the last few years. Your random mistakes (e.g. the training failures in question in this thread) are pretty small potatoes compared to those black marks. Think about it.

Remember, the airlines are looking at the big picture, theoretically at that "whole person" concept. A couple of mistakes over the course of a career are expected. Even the major trip-ups where someone made a legitimate error in judgment are opportunities to further one's airmanship or personally improve, and the airlines fully recognize this.

Again, they're looking for honesty in a candidate, and they're looking for someone who has learned from their mistakes and are better aviators as a result of it.

That being said, trying to cover something up, or omitting something because you think it will make you look worse as an interviewee, will absolutely NOT be looked upon well if it is discovered. And, often, perception is reality: even if you weren't trying to intentionally hide something, the appearance of that could be just as bad. The potential cost of this is just too large to not be completely forthright and overly conservative in what you list on the app.
I think this advice is spot on. I have even heard of people being asked at interviews how they made it through training, and their subsequent flying career without a failure at some point. I have a TMAAT story ready to go just in case I get asked that question.