Old 07-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Ed Force One
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by at6d View Post

The answer is that the captain failed pretty much every checkride he ever had. Why doesn't anybody focus on that part?
It's been focused on plenty. His name was dragged through plenty of mud. Chances are you remember this CA's name, and if you do, then it was "focused on." Good Ole Boy Captain Fantastic Sully was on TV leading the charge against low time regional pilots, somehow believing that he himself was born with 10,000 hours.

Flying from JFK to Vegas at 6am eastern, then 11 hours later flying back to JFK. How do you manage sleep on that one?

You don't bid those trips. Or as previously mentioned, you call in fatigued whenever you are truly fatigued.
Easy for someone senior to say. That doesn't remove the trip however, just pushes it to someone junior. Some people like red-eyes, some don't, but I don't know how anyone can function on this kind of trip. But obviously it's getting done if B6 is still scheduling them.

We don't have these at NK, at least not in my base. We do have something similar though, where we fly a redeye one night, followed by a 6AM departure the next day. Absolutely brutal. I too believe in "When it causes a fatigue problem, only then will it get fixed." Unfortunately for the cause, I simply use my seniority to bid around them. It's up to others to call in fatigued. (At least until I upgrade. Then I'll probably get loads of them.)