View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 PM
PrettyFlyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn08 View Post
I'm just getting back into the pilot game, but would commuting from Chicago be feasible? My current career in already gone most of the week already, so 15/15 would be a improvement even commuting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely possible but way harder than a commute from the northwest. United has direct flights to Anchorage on a 37 out of ORD in the summer and maybe even all year now. When I was up there we had a kid from Michigan and one from Boston and several from Texas. There were plenty of shifts they complained about it taking 4 days or more to get home. So just be prepared to lose days off if flights are full. I had times where flights out of ANC only had 20 people on board and the next time had a standby list 60 people long so its kind of about perfect timing and a lil luck.
If your going for a captain spot with the new pay you could afford to buy your tickets months ahead of time for practically nothing out of ORD. Mine were less than a day of pay for round trip out of MCI. So in theory you could work one extra day and pay for the tickets and potentially save several days off commuting and with the long trips probably get enough points for a free ticket every 6 months. Plus the extra day will be premium pay as well. Some people will probably say this is stupid but if working one day will save you 3 its not a bad way to go. Having a set ticket makes the job way less stressful and you get to travel in comfy clothes and not wear a tie for several days commuting. Good luck and welcome back.