Thread: Qatar scabs
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 01:46 AM
Denti
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: A320 Left

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
So you're one of the Qatar scabs. Rationalize it all you want... you're a SCAB abd should be treated as such.
Nah, i do work in germany, not Qatar. And i am a union rep, however, i do know about realities of life, especially in a diverse market like europe where every country still has its own working laws, and many do not allow to refuse work if you are ordered to cover flights for another company on strike. Or even within the same company. As the pilots at easyjet discovered that tried to go on strike with no effect whatsoever as other easyjet pilots had to cover their work. Otherwise they would not only be without protection if the company wanted to fire them, they would had to pay all damages the company had due to that strike, which is of course far in excess of their salary.

Or British Airways pilots, organized in BALPA, working as cabin crew to cover flights during industrial action of their cabin crew. It did happen, it might happen again in the next downturn.

As i said, the world isn't black and white, and i certainly will not call those colleagues, that have to face certain realities, names. Sure, i would love for them to call in sick, but that is simply not possible as freely as in germany in other countries. For every sick call i have a right by law to get full payment for the next six weeks (including full overtime pay for the months before that call), and up to 9 months under my companies CLA. And yes, as long as it is a different diagnosis each time, as often as i like or have to per year. Thank god most people do not abuse that one.

How many refused to work when their pensions were slashed to bits? Or their payrate reduced onesided by the company in the last downturn? Or did you meekly go to work and carried on working for less and pennies on the dollar in pensions? Unthinkable over here, we would call that cowardice, but then, we live under different rules.