View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 12:06 PM
dutch rudder
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by Hotel Pen View Post
The mx at G4 is worse than at other comparable airlines. Why is Tyler the only one that wants to admit this and why is everyone else acting like everything is fine.
The problem isn’t with Tyler admitting half our fleet is getting old and engine failures are bad. The problem, it appears, is with his bias and inability to entertain any other narrative. We do not deny the issue, some choose to look at it objectively and come to a different conclusion. If everyone else is acting like it's fine, maybe it is actually fine.

You state, “The mx at G4 is worse than comparable airlines.” Ok, what other comparable airline operates 45ish MD80s that comprise 50% of their fleet? NONE. We are the only one! We will be less reliable by default. As stated in an earlier post, “the three airlines that have the highest numbers of unscheduled landings… ALL MD80 OPERATORS. If American operated a fleet comprised of 56% old MD80’s, they would top this list!” If I remember correctly, AA went through a bunch of 80 shutdowns/failures around 2009, three in one week at one point. My last airline had a larger, younger fleet and mx was far worse.

Old MD80 with 1960s engine design + several captains in the left seat for the first time = higher number of unwarranted emergency declarations, diversions, and bad press. I have experienced this first hand.

They try to use paper work, often lying (ie they MEL terrain system when the TCAS is what is actually INOP), to fix everything, instead of actually fixing the plane.
Really, a mechanic can’t make a mistake? C’mon! The guys who lie about that crap are few and hopefully being reported by us. MEL's can be frustrating, but again, we are flying old MD80s. It comes with the territory, especially now since they are accelerating the retirements.

Eventually something bad will happen.
Eventually something bad always happens.