View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 AM
Romeo Hotel
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Originally Posted by Theorganist92 View Post
I have checked out this option before. Me being a Hoosier in my homestate, it wouldn't be much of an issue to get up to Purdue or ISU for the aviation tech degrees that those schools offer. I've called Purdue on this subject, but they said I can't get an additional undergrad degree if I already have one, which is odd, because I have heard that such things are indeed possible. Does anyone have any commentary on this?

Wholeheartedly agree on the other comments of the ATP loan. That's the thing that scares me the most... maybe that's a sign I just don't want to risk it. Same kind of risk management principle I apply to my flying I already do... indeed, in figuring out the average salary from most regionals last night, I may have an awful difficult time paying off the ATP loan...

I have no idea what Purdue's policy is on degrees, but I can tell you both the VA and about 99% of other colleges do not care about what you currently have. Now, that being said, if you are CURRENTLY in the military and trying to use Tuition Assistance, that's another story. TA cannot be used towards a degree of lesser or equal value. You can't get a second B.S. or an Associate's if you already have a Bachelor's. But once you're out on the street, you can absolutely use your GI Bill toward any degree you choose.

There are other 'fast track' ATP type programs out there that aren't as expensive as ATP itself. They are still pretty pricey, but they aren't as crazy painful to look at. My advice through, is that if you're willing to relocate, there are quite a few schools that will get you what you're looking for in 2 years.