Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by resolater View Post
This is a forum for public expression and discussion, yes? Anyway, my questions have value because the point is that some of us want to understand what is really behind accidents and learn from the mistakes of others – the cornerstone of flight safety and airmanship! There is a lot of interest in aviation accidents. That’s why they make books, TV shows and movies, and why most pilots discuss and learn about them rather than pleading the 5th like you did.
I'll take a stab at this. While there are those in the public with a morbid interest in aviation accidents, those who have true professional interest in the hope of advancing safety and applying lessons are in the minority.

We're not talking about an accident involving a Cessna or the like operated by thousands of private pilots worldwide or even a modern airliner in use by the hundreds or even thousands. This is a 1950's vintage military aircraft with pilots who currently fly it worldwide numbered maybe in double digits. I guarantee you that should any of those operators want to discuss the line of questions you've posed here that they will be able to find answers and probably already have.

You or me and any other person not operating the aircraft can claim "learning from the mistakes of others"...."cornerstone of safety".... blah, blah but that's just a load of BS. What safety improvements for the general public are going to occur if you're able to solve the stall warning system question, determine the viability of the ejection seat or pinpoint the rationale behind the actions of a pilot in a military jet with a slow-spool, axial flow engine designed more than 6 decades ago?

Exactly... none. You just want to know because you're curious. The NTSB report has plenty of data points you can use to draw your own conclusions. That should be enough. It was for the NTSB.

Huggy and others who knew these pilots probably simply have no interest in dragging their brother aviators through the mud just because a few looky-loos feel like they need to know.