Thread: Why fly here?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 09:06 AM
airscout
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: air attack pilot

A year or two is an eternity at the airlines. Places that were terrible places to work turn it around, and vis versa. I have no doubt that GoJet was once terrible from many first hand accounts. But I've been here a year and it's not that bad. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of room for improvement, but this is the best aviation job I've had since the late '90s. A lot of this just has to do with the supply and demand of pilots. Skywest was considered one of the best regionals to work for during the "lost decade", now they're getting 1% pay raises for the foreseeable future willing other airlines can't hand out cash fast enough to their pilots. You just never know.

What bases are junior is a good example of how quickly things change. DTW was junior and was supposed to double in size every month. It stopped at 35 lines and word on the street is that it will actually be cut back. DTW is now senior. Guys are now getting DEN right out of training. RDU was also hard to get. No longer so. DEC got lines in ORD after 9 months. This was never thought possible before, etc.... and I for one never would have imagined a flow to Spirit.

So when you research make sure to put more weight on current info, and try to read the tea leaves what will happen in the next year or two.