View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 11:49 PM
AU MD FLYER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by [B
No Land 3[/B];2411866]Motorclutch, the problem you are going to run into is the same exact problem Spirit, Frontier, and others have, that offer something that a regional can't provide. Either it is a Boeing type, home basing, a better schedule, different type of flying, etc. Theres nothing you can say or do that will stop people coming, except for having a horrendous training department with a very high failure rate. Most people will stay away from that.
No Land 3 - While I agree with your "horrendous training department" comment, I kindly disagree with the remainder of your statement.

You see, I believe that "IF" more stories of the "REAL" work day, DH travel, and QOL for pilots at 121 Supplemental Carriers were revealed, then a lot more of the regional pilots would be dissuaded from pursuing a job with these outfits given the pay received for the additional work required.

You see, most regional carriers still operate a fairly well-oiled and supported operation (except during IROP's obviously), which makes the work day tolerable and the QOL acceptable while they gain the necessary 121 experience to move on to greener pastures. This "well-oiled operation" and "support" is hardly the case for a lot of the 121 Supplemental Carriers, but regional pilots won't know this until they experience it for themselves... due to lack of "due diligence" prior to applying and accepting a job offer, and because Supplemental pilots have done a poor job of revealing their horror stories of nightmare trip sequences (30+ hour multi-leg DH's, long duty days, continually interrupted sleep, multiple schedule changes, UNPAID 24-hour continual reserve, and a lot of other UNPAID additional work, etc.).

I could go on obviously, but supplemental pilots already know the gig and have learned to accept it... but regional pilots are mostly clueless about 121 supplemental operations QOL, and "WE" have done a poor job of revealing the in and outs of everyday supplemental life and educating them with our nightmare assignments requiring a "go the extra mile to save the day" mentality and the "pilot pushing" that still goes on in 121 supplemental operations.

Therefore, well-qualified regional pilots who get a supplemental carrier job offer are in for quite a shock in the lack of operational support, and will become quickly disappointed with their new employer... and the diminishing QOL of the new job.