View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by skyhwk View Post
This is a question outside of the airline and transport world, but I am trying to get some guidance on a situation (before getting a lawyer involved) to move forward with a business I am starting.

I have an STC which applies to Cessna 172 models F,I,K,L,M,N,P,Q,R, and S variants. In the Limitations and conditions there is a line that states "This STC is applicable only to Cessna 172 models with 150 HP engines, or greater, and STOL wingtips."

After doing some research, I have come to find out that there are no "STOL wingtips" that exist for the late model 172's (R & S). Aside from getting field approval for the deviation on a 172R, how should I approach this wingtip requirement of the STC when it is impossible to install the "STOL" wingtips on the R & S models?
Your limitation line appears intended to state that the limitation applies:
A) to 172 models with greater than 150 hp
B) to 172 models with "STOL wingtips."

As not all 150 hp powered 172's employ stol wingtips, and your statement seems to imply that it's to aircraft with 150 hp or greater or that have STOL tips, then why not put the language to say as much.

Or do you only limit the use of your STC to those aircraft that have both an engine of 150 hp or greater and STOL tips?

It's okay to spell out exclusions, if known, or to be specific in the applicability or effectivity of the STC.

A DAR is always a good idea of you're seeking an approval. The cost of what's involved in an approval depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Use caution seeking counsel at the FSDO level.