Thread: Why fly here?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 09:48 AM
SEPfield
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by gojo View Post
How narrow is your view? Delta isn't the only mainline around. American, and United need just as many pilots as Delta. If not more. And if Delta doesn't keep pace with them, where do you think the majority will go? IMHO, American has the best thing going via their commitment to their regionals. And I'm not specifically talking about flow
Delta will continue to keep pace with the other carriers as long as they need to. I'm saying that when the next downturn comes they will no longer need the bonuses to keep pace. The regional carriers for Delta, American and United will all drop the bonus programs the first chance they get. Then Endeavor is left with some of the lowest pay rates in the industry. Sure the Endeavor pilots could leave to go to Envoy, PSA, Piedmont, Commutair, Air Wisconsin...etc, but if there is no bonus at these carriers then it would still be a pay cut and a loss of seniority to make a lateral move. It's 2008 all over again

American does have a great deal, not only can they drop the bonus program, but they can immediately begin whipsawing their carriers against each other again.

Right now things are great. Pay is up, bonuses are plentiful, reserve is short and upgrade almost a certainty. Just like the summer of 2001 and the summer of 2007. I like everyone else am enjoying the ride, but I'm also making a plan for when the bottom drops out and I can promise you, the leadership at America, Delta, and United are already putting their plans in motion.