Old 09-08-2017, 03:43 PM
calmwinds
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by HansenT View Post
As I scan through the various posts here, I have yet to find one that is positive. Most posts are commenting on how bad Mesa is. How the new contract is bad, how the management is bad, and many Mesa pilots saying " don't come here".

With most things, the negative stuff is the stuff which is vocalized and the positive usually is not. Since Mesa is a company I am looking at, I'm hoping there is some positive out there in the dark clouds I keep seeing?

With regards to this post, troll comments are OK, they make for some fun in forums, but as always, helpful comments are appreciated.
A lot of the comments that are negative deal with the contract. Go look at any regionals forum during or immediately after a contract. Negativity abounds.

First. Some mistakes by the peanut gallery. Their information is a couple of months old. KCM is paid for. We do pay for an iPad out of pocket but receive a monthly reimbursement of $40 for the iPad. We also don't have the same download policies of other regionals since it is our iPad.

Second. You have to work hard to make it to the line. There are no free passes in training, particularly in SIM training. You have to pass a rigorous oral and checkride. So, no matter what happens in the interview, you still need to work your tail off.

Third, on the Ejet, we have seen significant growth in the pilot base this summer. However, we remain short of pilots for both the Ejet (12 more planes this year) and the CRJ and it is routine to earn 300% for legs you pick up on your days off. It is early in the month and I already have 20 more credit hours than I am scheduled to fly.

Fourth. You will fly with a line. Nearly no reserve.

Fifth. Our pilots are building their time, upgrading, and going elsewhere quickly --- Spirit, Allegiant, Southwest --- are just some of the airlines I have heard in the past month. That means you get a decent line faster.

Sixth. The employees are friendly and generally care. That doesn't mean you won't run across an occassional as$hole.

If you live in base, particularly IAH, and fly the Ejet, life is good (unless your house was flooded by Harvey). Of course, the downside is a lack of quality and affordable health insurance.