Old 10-16-2017, 04:05 AM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Trojan65 View Post
The scale of the hiring seems very large

I read somewhere Horizon were looking for 300 people next 12 months . What are some of the other numbers people are looking at ?

Also what regional would be best for an Australian to join , likely to stay 5 years then back to Aust or off to ME/Asia. Will not transition to majors, as on an E3 visa unlikely to get citizenship

People say clearly the regionals can change quick , so the best airline this year , may lose contracts drop down the list next year.

Just doing some thinking out loud here

So wouldn't this make the WO regionals a "safer" bet ie: the AA owned regional Envoy/Piedmont/PSA or Delta owned Endeavour as the mothership is obviously going to protect their own regional . Thus making these four more "stable" ? , am I making sense here ?

Also how much of a benefit is the staff travel with WO AA regionals getting the same priority as mainline. Would think this looks like a very significant benefit for staff

The other priority for Australians will be upgrade time ; get some PIC asap as you are not going to stay in the US forever

Of the list of top ten , perhaps two or at most three to avoid ; the others in terms of pay , equipment (regionals are TP in Aust/NZ) , upgrade times , travel perks - all looks very good
If you’re looking for staff Travel then AA Wholly Owned is the way to go. We’re all American Airlines Group Employees so get the same non rev priority on AA. Apparently the WOs now get jumpseat priority on All WO metal over mainline pilots as well... saw some mainline pilots complaining about that recently.

If you want 5 year stability I’d say got to the AA Wholly Owned as well. They’re deemed critical to keep AAs domestic route structure profitable so will be the most stable.

I would say Endeavor for the same reasons with Delta but, Deltas history with Commair makes me leery they won’t shut them down sooner if things go south for whatever reason.

All the AA Wholly Owned have upgrade opportunities as soon as you hit 1000hrs SIC time and 2500TT. That’s 12-18 months usually. I read there’s some specific process to get approval for the visa holders but it’s not a show stopper, I’m just not sure if there’s a delay to the timeline omce you’re qualified to upgrade.

Forget listing the bottom 3 of 10...top 5:

Piedmont, PSA, Envoy, Endeavor, Skywest.