View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Packrat
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by CautionPropWash View Post
I’m interested in flying right seat in the MD-80’s out of Laredo. A few question for current or past KLRD guys...

How many crews are on the MD-80? 3 or 4

How many flight hours are the MD-80 guys averaging per month?

It all depends on the charters that get sold. Some months, especially when the car factories are retooling in the summer you'll fly less.

How many days out of the 18 are you guys out flying / how many are spent at the Laredo crew house?

Again, it all depends on the business. There are times when you may spend an entire rotation on the road.

Is the crew house pretty decent? Ok part of town? Near food? Comfortable beds? Cleaned ocassionally?

Its been awhile since I've been down there, but it used to be a 3 bedroom apartment. Crew cars available. Decent gym and good pool in the complex. Weekly maid service.

Is there a training contract?

No.

How long does it take to upgrade? 1,000 hrs 121 or do guys typically stick around?

Strictly depends on your background and recommendations from the Captains/Check Airmen you fly with. Seniority not really a factor.

When guys do leave, where do they typically end up?

Alaska, Virgin America, Atlas, Omni, Empire are just a few of the places that come to mind.

How is loading the MD-80 with cargo? I have no reservations about loading my own cargo, just want to know what the process is like.

Usually the jet will be loaded for you on departure, but it all depends on where you go and what you're picking up. Cargo is loaded on the cookie sheet pallets with pallet jacks.

Where do you guys typically fly to? Is it all random? Scheduled cargo? I’ve read “lower 48,” but is there any international flying?

All over. International currently in the Caribbean and Mexico. Its all part 121 supplemental so there's no fixed schedule.

Do you usually start in Laredo or do they generally fly you wherever the plane happens to be at the start of your shift?

First day is travel, last day is travel home. You'll be sent to where the jet is located.

Anyone care to complement on current state of company culture? Safety? Maintenance? Management? The future of MD-80 flying? Growth?

Small company, family owned. Culture is very personal, unlike the big corporate outfits. Safety is a primary goal of the CEO.

I know that was more than a few questions, but anything you can relay is very much appreciated.
Feel free to PM me with any and all specific questions.