Thread: C Series Info
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 09:04 PM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Herkflyr View Post
The massive 737 order (appropriate for the time) was to replace the 727, not envisioned as a 757 route replacement. That order was in the late 90s and Boeing didn't shut down the 757 until 2004.

That was also with our prior "less capable" management team in place.

RA used to say that one of his bigger regrets was canceling the order of just three 757-300s from the PMNW order book. They are always portrayed as the "most efficient" airplanes in the DAL fleet.

I'm also not buying the "the 757 sits too high up and demands more ramp equipment than the 737, thus the reason for the unpopularity of it." I fly the baby bus now and it sits as high as the 757 does. Last I checked we are still taking delivery of a lot of 321s.

I will concede that the 73N, while old and dated in some ways, is a solid, dependable money maker for the company. They aren't going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
In the end the 757 was cancelled because no one would buy them. That's all that matters. Competitors flying the 737 on the 95% of the routes they could both fly would eat your lunch. When you filed chapter 7 however you would have nicer planes.