Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 AM
billsaw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
I think a lot of pilots are insecure, concerned about their relationship with the leadership. It’s a two-way street, have confidence in your work and leaders need to promote loyalty by returning respect and coaching. I never worried about what the boss thought-did my best and stood behind my work always.

And way too much emphasis on money—there’s much more to life than next week’s bank deposit. Respect, giving responsibility, personal growth, interesting environment mean a lot when it comes to employment.

GF
I agree with the insecurity of pilots aspect. Many pilots got scared of losing their job in the downturn and unlike the airlines the guy in the back can fire you in one second. Pilots are also nervous to jump from one corporate outfit to another in a lot of cases because they don't want to fall for the grass is greener deal. On the other hand most operators absolutely will not change until they have to. If you got a flight department with 6 pilots and nobody is willing to quit why change anything?

Now on to your second paragraph I will agree and disagree. First off anyone who says it's not about the money it is about the money. I mean ALL about the money and the other stuff you mentioned.

People are tired in the corporate world of being on call 24/7/365. Are you showing your pilots respect by working them like that No. And nobody is gonna quit a job where they get along with their owners for 2 more days off a month or a couple grand.

But buddy believe me when you got guys out there that are Hawker captains making 100,000, or a Citation X captain making 110,000 and you tell them that hey not only will you make the same amount with brand X airline on day 1 in 3 short years you will make twice as much. And oh yea "we respect you so much" unlike your previous employer (who was a great guy) you don't even have to work half the month. We will give you 401k, good medical and dental for your family, no more on call 24/7/365, loss of license, KCM, travel benifits and the list goes on and on and on.

That my friend is when it becomes about the money, all about the money. And all that other stuff you mentioned. Nobody is gonna quit over a 5,000 a year raise. But believe this, virtually everybody is gonna quit for double the money and the mountain of other perks that 98% of biz jet operators do not offer.

There are a few operators seeing this and getting ahead of the game. Those are the ones that never hire anyway because they always been at the top and will remain so.

The rest are going to have to do some serious soul searching on exactly how much they "respect" their flight crews and that boils down to money. Money to put in their 401k. Money to hire more pilots so they aren't on call 24/7/365. Money for good healthcare. Money to pay them more, way more, like the airlines. Money for good training, etc, etc, etc. So you see in one way or another it does all boil down to money.