Gets Weekends Off
slimothy
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Oct 2014
  • Position
    FO
Quote: Been following these threads for a while as I consider JB. I work for "the worst" regional, and even there, I help out the pax. Maybe motivated by a "we're all in this together" attitude? Anyway, say I were a JB pilot. It would be bad if I were to help the pax? That's confusing to me, because isn't that JB's thing? Does this forum represent the prevailing attitude on the line at JB? If you had a new contract, would it be ok to help the passengers then?

For example, people in wheelchairs get screwed over by the airlines because the contractors in charge of that stuff are under staffed and poorly run so, sometimes, I'll go get the wheelchair to move things along. This might be because I want to move on to my next flight or because I just feel bad for them. Especially the elderly. This isn't really considered a taboo thing to do at my regional. Just being a fellow human. This is bad to do at JB?

Another example: After a flight, I'll probably cross a few seatbelts. The FAs may have offered me food, so it's something I can do to help them out in return. They also may be my friends, and we might hang out later, or maybe I just want to have a friendly trip and get along with everyone. Also bad at JB?

I sometimes take left items to the gate agent as well. Passports, wallets, iPads...sucks to lose that stuff. Bad?
There are widely varying opinions on this. I think the prevailing attitude right now is “don’t do anything not explicitly required until further notice.”

I have caught crap on our internal forum because I’ll walk UMs up the jet bridge, so they aren’t sitting there waiting. Like your wheelchair example, these kids aren’t responsible for our labor dispute, but it’s not one of our duties, so people don’t want us doing it.

Wheelchairs are a no go for me not only due to the negotiations, but also I think the company could contest a worker’s compensation claim for an injury occurred outside of my prescribed duties. But I’m not too proud to admit that sounds a bit paranoid.

Once we see a CBA I think you’ll see our good will return and a willingness to go the extra mile for the company. But not before then.