Old 01-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Armybeatnavy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: FO
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HarlsBarkley View Post
Happy New Year, everyone.

I'm currently a first officer at a 121 regional and I'm giving some serious thought to applying to a guard unit nearby. Has anyone here joined the ANG after starting at the airlines, or am I crazy to even think of such a thing?

Some background -- I'm in my early 20s and have a 4-year non-aviation degree. After finishing college, I was in touch with a recruiter and had my ducks in a row to go to OTS and hopefully to UPT. Took the AFOQT (got a 97 on the pilot portion, similar percentiles on the other portions), TBAS, etc. Unfortunately, due to my dad becoming ill, I could not commit myself to the Air Force and had to withdraw from the process so I could stay closer to home. At the time, I had my private and instrument and worked to obtain my commercial and CFI certificates. I instructed my way to 1,500 hours and joined a regional in early 2017.

Here's the thing -- I have nothing bad to say about my job. I enjoy the flying and my co-workers. I'm compensated well. I've spoken to folks that I fly with and mainline guys (usually while I'm commuting in their jumpseats) who are retired AF or currently in the ANG about joining a guard unit. Some of them look at me like I'm absolutely nuts. Why, they ask, would I want to pump the brakes on what I've already got going? They ask why I would want to take mil leave for 2-3 years for initial training/seasoning, deployments, a pay cut, delaying a captain upgrade at my regional, and ultimately delaying a possible interview at a major airline?

Frankly, I have wanted to join the military since my last couple years of undergrad and would be especially humbled to be picked up by a guard unit to fly. Ultimately, I do not have my panties in a wad about getting to a major as soon as humanly possible and locking in my seniority number, as many do (not throwing stones, I know seniority is everything). I have (hopefully) 40+ years of flying in front of me, and the guard seems like a good way to serve while also working another job in the long-term.

Anyone care to comment? Open to advice.

I was in your shoes Not to long ago. I say Do it. If you are not picky about what type of plane you want to fly then I suggest you pick the area you want to settle down. For me it was the east coast. I knew eventually I wanted to go back and that’s what I did. No commute and I drive to both my airline gig and my squadron. Let me know if you can any question. Happy to help! Thank you for wanting to give back too.

Essayons