View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 09:32 AM
The dude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: DAL 737 FO

Originally Posted by jkhill0 View Post
Am also retired military. Was flying a GLEX for about the same you're making as well. Left after two years for Delta...wasn't about the money, it came down to schedule, total value of the 401K offered by DAL over the long haul, and of course the schedule and overall QOL.

I had a pretty sweet gig on my particular corporate account, all expenses covered, Marriott properties, kept all points, "Platinum/Diamond/Elite" memberships for the respective hotel chains, rental car agencies and airline of my choice for commuting. Approximately 300 hours per year, domestic and international, with great management to boot.

In the end, it came down to being able to drop the phone at the end of a rotation and not pick it up again until my next scheduled event...QOL is defined differently by everyone, but for me it really comes down to controlling my schedule.
My story is pretty much identical to this one but flying a Gulfstream. I'm already making over 200K (salary, 401K, PS) and am only on 2nd year pay at DL. I had a great corporate job but couldn't be happier about making the jump to DL. The first year was tough with the commute and money, but it was a small drop in the bucket.

I think the guy who brought up the point about how many Delta pilots leave for Corporate flying brings up a great point as well. I don't know any!