Super Moderator
Scoop
Super Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Dec 2007
  • Position
    DAL 330
Quote: The 737-7 and A319 are too heavy and their fuselages are too wide. They're dying off because of that. Imho someone has done a calculation and the 5 abreast seating appears perfect for the 110-150 seat market. The 6 abreast 737 series and A320 series are more efficient for the 160-190 seat market. And the A321 has the advantage in that market because of the extra 8 inches in width, the taller gear, and the cockpit that was only designed 30 years ago. Hehehe.

Delta favors purchase price and optimum size airplane for each market segment over fleet standardization. Example: Reading between the lines on some of the comments RA made over the years, the 777 is too heavy and too optimized for the ME3 in his opinion....this explains some of the scorn for Boeing. In Boeing's defense, we were all going bankrupt in the lost decade and Boeing had to respond to the customers in front of them, the ME3. All just mho.

That has been the case ever since the merger gave us a multi-aircraft fleet. In the years prior to the merger management was all about "Fleet Standardization." It was actually pretty comical how quickly we changed from Fleet Standardization being of the utmost importance, to touting the benefits of "Fleet Versatility" and putting the right air-frame on the right route. Must have been the same week that merger related management stock options went through.

I would not be surprised if when it suits management needs we will be all about Fleet Standardization again at some time. Of course you have to give credit where credit is due - DAL appears to be firing on all cylinders quite nicely, so kudos to our team.

Scoop