Thread: PBS at Alaska?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 05:17 AM
IDIOTPILOT
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by ZapBrannigan View Post
So I take it the Virgin folks like PBS better than line bidding? What are the pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s got less to do with PBS itself but more of the work rules that are used. I’ve seen the same PBS program at other places and it’s night and day what the rules do.

We have a window to build our schedules, usually 70 hours minimum. Some months like July, December, they can flex to 75. If you can build to 71 hours and don’t want to work more, that’s it. This likely results in 16-19 days off.

Some months you can be unstacked. A little complex scenario but say Christmas has too many trips, they can assign trips not in your preference then build the rest of your schedule.

I’ve seen the same PBS program with 90 hour minimums or the need to push a certain average. This results in horrible schedules on average. So it’s got less to do with PBS itself and more of how we get so much more flexibility. Line bidding by its nature is highly unlikely to result in 70 hour lines with 20 days off for those that want it.