View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 PM
November Seven
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by SkylaneRG View Post
There is a lot of serious (and very, very good) advice in this thread. My advice is a little bit different.
Indeed, and I do appreciate all of it. I thought it was a good question to ask before taking the plunge myself - especially given my goals. JohnBurke, just set me on fire, too.

You'll take for granted going through the ratings and the motions. You'll take for granted the little moments of "I did it". Slow down, relax and enjoy where you're at... enjoy your current pilot privileges... enjoy flying... Don't get so much tunnel vision on the future of your career that you forget to enjoy what you have right now. The little milestones are just as important as the big ones.
Funny. I just got back from another local Flight Club and saw all the shredded shirts hanging from the wall. I thought to myself, that would be a bit too premature for me and my goals. However, you are right. It is important to savor that first solo, first passed check-ride, the arrival of the Private Pilots License and every stage in-between the very beginning and the ultimate goal itself, single pilot VLJ. I guess it makes no sense not to celebrate those things along the way.

I am very focused on what the net/net result will look like. I'm very anxious to get there, no doubt. But, I do think maybe I should pace it a little. Maybe slow it down a bit. This has been a lifetime in the making, so I've got a lot of energy flowing right now.

Celebrate that first solo and your private pilot checkride. Take your first passenger up the day after you legally can and enjoy that part of flight training.
Ok, so that is one of the questions I was going to ask about. Is it really ok to take up passengers immediately after passing the Private exam with the DPE? Or, is that a bit too premature? I've always wondered whether I'd feel comfortable with "souls-on-board" other than my own at that point.

I feel bad when someone comes to me and says their "timebuilding" days were filled with structured flights to one of the 5 airports ATP let them to go. Where is the fun in that? And what are you learning?
I used performance numbers from the Conquest II, which gives me a Time Building training radius that brings a good variety of airspace classifications into focus, including several Non-Towered airports as well. So, there will be a lot of airspace, terrain, weather, density altitude and night time options available as I increase skill sets and start taking on increasingly more challenging weather conditions while never exceeding my abilities or that of the aircraft (flying with a Mentor periodically as a sanity check).

I remember very few milestones because there are so many.. the day I solo'd, the day I got my private (June 6th, 2012) and honestly that's about it. But what I remember most are the adventures I had, the trips I took and the people I met. Don't take those things for granted because you're too busy building time for the next great thing.
No doubt. Thanks very much for the input!