View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Pony Express
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

As a former instructor I figured I'd chime in to hopefully give some perspective as to why you might be frustrated with your difficulty finding a suitable instructor.

"In the model for instruction you just posted, my brain would get jammed much like electronic countermeasures warfare"

The model for instructions he/she referenced is what is taught in nearly every extant CFI training program. In fact, it's what the FAA FOI textbook demands. While this may not suit your needs, this is why a huge majoriry of instructors will teach in this manner.

A fresh instructor tends to not be very effective because it can be hard to get comfortable with "flying crooked." But as they gain experience and get more comfortable with a students improper tecinque (which is by no means a slight against the student, but a manifestation of their developing skills), such as departing centerline during the landing roll, they will let the situation progress until intervention becomes necessary. Their experience will tell them that verbally saying "right rudder, you're leaving centerline" and then waiting for the student to (maybe) hear this, process it, and implement corrective action, may not be an appropriate response to prevent a runway excursion, especially if it is a student new to landing practice. At times its best for the instructor to apply a quick band aid to the landing, so the student can focus on one or two things to improve on instead of twelve. Once they've got one through eleven down, let them focus on number twelve.

However once the student reaches that level and can be "taught" in this high-stress moment (referred to as the "cognitive stage of learning"), that's when a little wiggle down the runway is likely to be dealt with verbally instead of nudging the pedal.

I've wandered a bit from my initial point, I admit. This is just my own personal experience and very similar to the experience of many of my fellow instructors.

For your purposes, I think you will be able to achieve your goals, however personally I think your best bet is to find a highly experienced, career instructor. Because your learning style is dissimilar to many, this may take some time and you will likely pay instructor rates higher than what the local FBO charges. I think you would probably have some luck browsing ads or posting one of your own on barnstormers.com or trade a plane or the like. There are also great resources from AOPA (they have a "find a flight school" tool, or if you're a member just call them and see if they have recommendations).

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit!