Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #7  
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugar View Post
A great question.

I was recently hired by a major airline without a degree.
You were hired by a non-US major, correct?

Foreign airlines place far more weight on high-school performance and vo-tech training than here in the US. The degree is typically not necessary in the majority of foreign countries, if you have the requisite professional training and experience.

Quote:
Personally, I’m pleased that I spent my money on things like furthering my career, buying a house, and having a little fun, rather than on a degree which I highly doubt would have earned me a higher salary thus far. On the contrary, because of the experience I’ve gained, because I WASNT busy with college, my earnings thus far are probably higher than they would have been, had I attended college. My airline had no issue with me not having a degree.
Perfectly legitimate for overseas. But here in the US I'm personally pleased that I got a degree, without which I would not have gotten a legacy airline job where I could drive to work from my home near all of my family roots.

Quote:
If you are someone that is not terribly confident with yourself and your abilities, then I would say degree is beneficial. If however, you are sure of yourself and your abilities, a degree is more optional. Someone who is willing to work hard will always make a great living, with or without a degree.
There is truth to this. You will be totally shut out for some jobs, but there are a wide variety of opportunities available to someone with initiative and work ethic (and with a little vision you can always make your own). But the majority of young people who want white-collar employment in the US, including airlines, are better served by going to college. I was doing roofing as a teenager, I could have taken over the company eventually and almost certainly been a multi-millionaire by age 30. But I had a lot more fun and fulfillment doing other things instead.
rickair7777 is offline   Reply With Quote