Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Wink Degree? Or no Degree?

I am finishing sixth form soon and for the last few years, I have also known I want to go straight to pilot school.

However recently I have been in contact with 2 pilots. The one who has a degree says he does not think it is necessary and that he has flown with many captains who do not obtain a degree. However the pilot I spoke to (who was a more senior pilot) without a degree stated that having no degree to back him up if he fails his medical 'keeps him up at night'

Currently, I am very unsure if I should go to university or not, would anybody help me out and state their opinion.
Sebtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #2  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtemp View Post
I am finishing sixth form soon and for the last few years, I have also known I want to go straight to pilot school.

However recently I have been in contact with 2 pilots. The one who has a degree says he does not think it is necessary and that he has flown with many captains who do not obtain a degree. However the pilot I spoke to (who was a more senior pilot) without a degree stated that having no degree to back him up if he fails his medical 'keeps him up at night'

Currently, I am very unsure if I should go to university or not, would anybody help me out and state their opinion.
What country are you planning on living and flying in?
JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #3  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
What country are you planning on living and flying in?
The UK and around Europe.
Sebtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #4  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 209
Default

A great question.

I was recently hired by a major airline without a degree. Personally, Iím pleased that I spent my money on things like furthering my career, buying a house, and having a little fun, rather than on a degree which I highly doubt would have earned me a higher salary thus far. On the contrary, because of the experience Iíve gained, because I WASNT busy with college, my earnings thus far are probably higher than they would have been, had I attended college. My airline had no issue with me not having a degree.

If you are someone that is not terribly confident with yourself and your abilities, then I would say degree is beneficial. If however, you are sure of yourself and your abilities, a degree is more optional. Someone who is willing to work hard will always make a great living, with or without a degree.
Lugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
sourdough44's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: Left
Posts: 327
Default

How about splitting the baby, is a two year Ďassociatesí type degree an option? That way you could add more in the future if the need arose.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 3,525
Default

In the US, a requirement at the Big 4 plus FDX and UPS. Outside the US, pretty much optional, but nice to have.

GF
galaxy flyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #7  
Prime Minister
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 21,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugar View Post
A great question.

I was recently hired by a major airline without a degree.
You were hired by a non-US major, correct?

Foreign airlines place far more weight on high-school performance and vo-tech training than here in the US. The degree is typically not necessary in the majority of foreign countries, if you have the requisite professional training and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugar View Post
Personally, I’m pleased that I spent my money on things like furthering my career, buying a house, and having a little fun, rather than on a degree which I highly doubt would have earned me a higher salary thus far. On the contrary, because of the experience I’ve gained, because I WASNT busy with college, my earnings thus far are probably higher than they would have been, had I attended college. My airline had no issue with me not having a degree.
Perfectly legitimate for overseas. But here in the US I'm personally pleased that I got a degree, without which I would not have gotten a legacy airline job where I could drive to work from my home near all of my family roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugar View Post
If you are someone that is not terribly confident with yourself and your abilities, then I would say degree is beneficial. If however, you are sure of yourself and your abilities, a degree is more optional. Someone who is willing to work hard will always make a great living, with or without a degree.
There is truth to this. You will be totally shut out for some jobs, but there are a wide variety of opportunities available to someone with initiative and work ethic (and with a little vision you can always make your own). But the majority of young people who want white-collar employment in the US, including airlines, are better served by going to college. I was doing roofing as a teenager, I could have taken over the company eventually and almost certainly been a multi-millionaire by age 30. But I had a lot more fun and fulfillment doing other things instead.
rickair7777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #8  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 34
Default

Aside from all the good advice mentioned in the above posts, it is imperative to realize the value of a college degree in your life outside of work as well. College will expose you to a lot of diverse knowledge and valuable experiences that you otherwise may not pick up on your own. In short, it makes a person well-rounded and is in my opinion well worth the money and personal energy invested regardless of professional outcome. Never regretted it and is something I would recommend to everyone. As far as this job goes - if it does not help you, it will not hurt your chances either. You will not lose anything by going to college. Good luck in your decision.
BigfootCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice For A High School Student given Career Questions 23 03-03-2013 12:59 PM
Options with out a 4 year degree. BlueMoon Career Questions 78 12-17-2012 04:34 AM
Help Save the SCSU Aviation Program! skypimp92 Flight Schools and Training 6 03-27-2012 04:08 PM
Questions and Thoughts Regarding Degrees. theblueone Flight Schools and Training 7 02-06-2007 05:36 PM
Online Bachelors degree ERJ135 Flight Schools and Training 3 11-09-2005 09:45 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:35 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1