View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by AFSoar01 View Post
Hoping you guys can offer some insight: ..... I'm working on my ATP and strongly considering applying to the majors for an early departure from the USAF.
Here's my question: Is being so close to retirement going to hurt my chances with hiring boards?

A friend of mine recently separated at 17 years and joined the ANG as a traditional guardsman, and he just got hired by Delta. ....... Separating this close is a big risk but I don't want to stay in another day if I can help it - I was on staff for so long I'm getting hot for a 365 and my organization is putting me in a high-pressure DO job even though I told them I don't want it... At the minimum I'm thinking of trying to join our local guard unit as a traditional guardsman and trying to scrape by to 20 on whatever man-days they have available. I've deployed too much to do another long one... Anyway, any advice is much appreciated!
the salient points.

Its fine to tell the OP to stay in, all from financial perspective. That is one element, not what they asked. They have plenty of folks saying "stay in".
I have served with folks that did that after their marriage, relationship with kids going downhill, needed to help a parent. Doing that last 365 could be a real showstopper. Divorce may have been prevented. Who knows.
Sure, the bench stock answer is brace up man or woman, stay in, at what personal costs? lose the family and then also lose real money from that...
Getting out is not a panacea, but perhaps it could recover a family situation. Don't really know the details in this case, but have witnessed enough while I was serving to know that sometimes, just sometimes, getting out may be the better course.
I'm counter flow in this discussion