View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 PM
austin27
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2018
Question Should I QUIT my JOB??!!!

I would LOVE some advice. Im a low time guy (700 hours) and had an amazing opportunity to go and be a first officer on a jet for a 135 company. Great pay and amazing people to work for. It's a small family owned company. They helped me relocate, paid for the type rating, and even paid off my sign on bonus of 5k at my old company. I was working my butt off flight instructing 6 days a week and getting hours quickly before this. It sounds great so far however, I had to move across the country to a small town with absolutely nothing to do. I was living on the west coast in sunny southern california and was able to partake in a huge range of outdoor activities which is honestly what makes me the most happy in life. Here it is cold and flat with nothing I like to do and believe me i've looked im normally super optimistic. I don't know anyone here I'm a young 22 year old guy and left behind everything for a job. I was so indulged in the fact I could go fly a jet that I ignored the reality. I only work about 12 days a month now and am bored out of my mind. I do love the actual job it's amazing and I'm having a bunch of fun with it but my life when i'm not at work now is pretty hard for me. I've only been here for 2 months and Im getting to the point where I just can't take it anymore. I've went to every flight school within 2 hours of me and applied looking for part time work it's just hard because of my schedule i'm always on call so it kind of turns them off. So no luck. The other thing is im hardly getting any time here. 40 hours a month would be a good month and apparently this is our busiest time of year. I have 700 hours and want to be an airline pilot so I need to get to 1500 hours. At 40 a month it's going to take a long time. I feel like i'm just wasting time here. I would just feel very bad if I quit right away because of how nice they have been to me and I know I should be so grateful for this opportunity and there are others with my time would kill for this job im just not happy and really 90% of it has to do with where I now live. I can't just leave because the plane I'm on requires 2 pilots and I'm one of the 2 we have so if I leave the plane can't fly till they send someone through training. Additionally, I have a training contract that I would have to pay back. Hopefully the new company would be able to help me out with that. I guess I'm just kind of stuck for now. I'm definitely going to quit I just don't know how long I should wait and how much notice I should give them. I want to do everything to make this not look as bad on my record that I can. I also would need to find a new job first which now that I have the type will be easier and once I get to 1000 hours a lot more doors open. I really don't know what to do any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks. I hope I'm not complaining to much I just had such an amazing life and was so happy back on the west coast quality of life is what it is all about.