Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 AM
mb1685
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by AFTrainerGuy View Post
Ok guys (and gals)... here is status of unsponsored Reserves straight from horses’ mouth.

Program was introduced because MAF was taking so long to get candidates to boards. They were coming up short every year. It acts as a bridge to fill the un-filled slots. Last year, they turned in 20+ slots. This year, they have around 100, but many more applicants than slots available, a good chunk of them sponsored. First choice is to take sponsored candidates, then fill if needed by unsponsored. So, yes, there are no Unsponsored Boards for a while. They got the candidates. But, that doesn’t mean if your a great candidate you won’t be picked up unsponsored and “injected” into process. But, it does mean your going to have to be “overqualified” for the immediate future. The bare minimums ain’t gonna cut it right now. In reality, we do not have a problem recruiting new pilots, we have a problem retaining them later in their career.

I’m helping a few of you, and will continue to help anyone who needs it. Feel free to reach out. My advice (which probably ain’t worth much), make sure you get everything done (AFOQT, TBAS, Medical, initiate security) and apply to every unit you could see yourself wanting to join and become part of for the long haul. At the same time, then apply to unsponsored. Burn the candle at both ends.

As my dad would say, “where there’s a will, there’s a way”
Thank you so much for that information! I sent you a PM.