View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by RNAV2GRITZ View Post
Some background, currently a senior in college graduating in about a month, 22, PPL, GPA in the low 3's, no known health issues with the goal of becoming a pilot in the military and eventually the airlines as a possibility.

I currently have a UPT offer from a heavy unit contingent upon completion of my degree and squadron funding (which I am very thankful to have so early in the game) and am still pursuing other units for interview possibilities.

I also have an application for Navy OCS in the works and plan on applying for the board that meets in August of this year.

I understand that both of these prospective lifestyles are vastly different over the ~10 year service commitment and the possibility of getting to a major airline several years earlier with the ANG route and the projected wave of hiring over that time cannot be ignored.

However I also understand that this benefit is only so certain and can be taken away in an instant (9/11 & age 65) thus I am having a hard time weighing the ANG route so heavily for that benefit vs the active duty Navy route.

Been weighing the pro/cons about both routes and done plenty of research and talked with several family friends who took both routes and ended up at airlines, just thought I'd open up the floor to anyone who would like to share their experience and offer some insight.
Guard Heavys vs AD Navy unknown. Take the Guard gig and don’t look back.