View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 06:21 AM
ecam
Banned

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by GravellyPointer View Post
AFAIK the NWA DC-9 flew near a storm that was produced a tornado, it didn’t fly through a tornado. A KLM Fokker Jet did, and all aboard died when it crashed.

A CA friend from my airline was holding short of runway 21 and saw Allegiant pass over, according to him they were high and he never saw them touchdown. He was surprised they were shooting the approach. With 1800 RVR it’s not surprising he didn’t see them touchdown. I am assuming the feds will determine their touchdown point. At my regional we are taught we have to touch down on the thousand foot markers on a contaminated runway that is the minimum distance available for the conditions.
Savvy pilots should plan for worse RCC and braking action than reported if there has been any significant time since the last report when snow is falling, especially moderate or heavy snow. They were in a tough spot. They took the risk and did a good job getting it stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me guess. Skywest?

Thanks for that sage advice, Professor. Also kind of you patronize pilots who probably have a lot more flying experience than you do. But I'm sure you learned all that aeronautical knowledge at The Harvard of the Sky. Thanks for weighing in. That settles it then.