View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 AM
TrojanCMH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by digdawgtex View Post
I recently applied to Spirit and have been getting caught up on all the killer info on here. Looking to get some accurate up to date info on their training program hopefully from some Spirit guys with my similar background. It appears based on many posts that a lot of pilots are having trouble with it especially non 121 guys. It will be my first 121 job. I’ve been flying 135 charter for more than a decade with PCs every 6 months in midsize jets and have never had any issues what so ever. I’m quite certain that you don’t fill out a course critique evaluation after 121 training, lol. Obviously you are not clients anymore paying they’re salaries. However, is it really that much different? U take it seriously, study, and do what your told. Or is it just so compressed that they have higher expectations from the get go? Looking for quality insight on here. No problems with my PRIA and don’t want any!
The training at Spirit isn't the Flight Safety or teach you everything and hold your hand through the whole process type of training. It's intense for sure but it's certainly doable as 2000 other pilots have obviously made it through. I am by no means smarter than the average guy and I had no issues. Everyone was nervous because of the 4 sims looming over your head the whole time but by the time you get into the sim you should have all your procedures, call outs, and flows down. You're basically just learning how to fly with the stick once you're at this point. The one guy who washed out of my class of 14 a few years ago was a very experienced 121 captain. So I don't necessarily think it's a certain type of background that struggles but more someone who doesn't learn well in the fast paced/teach yourself type of program it is.

Just study what the instructors tell you and take it day by day and you should do fine.