View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 AM
Han Solo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Fastest Hunk of Junk in the Galaxy

Originally Posted by BrownDoubles View Post
Even applying the wrong rudder with a single engine out can produce significant roll. With two out on one side if appropriate rudder isn't applied rapidly the roll rate can get out of control. VMCA increases as the wing falls which increases the VMCA which increases the roll, which increases... the self licking ice cream cone. Losing two on one side on takeoff is challenging to say the least.

I understand what you are saying about being "dangerous" but couldn't one say that a pilot that isn't trained to proficiency and peak performance especially when it comes to abnormal situations is a safety issue? I don't have significant time as a single pilot operations; at least in a multi-crew platform the schedule can be risk mitigated with careful crew selection. Still doesn't make it right; our military crews should be trained at the top of their game so they can handle that abnormal, RADAR threat, challenging landing, airborne threat, put warheads on foreheads, and return home to momma and the kids safely. Thankfully I never found myself (and it doesn't sound like you did either) where I felt I hadn't flown enough to handle the flight at hand but that doesn't mean I was always ready to fly into a dirt LZ, in a RADAR environment every day and it shouldn't be that way.
I am going on the assumption that the budget cuts haven't cut simulator time. I always did most of my EP training in the sim so while there is no replacement for air under your butt, if you're 100% on your sims then your ability to handle abnormals shouldn't be too badly affected.