View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Pilatus801
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Family guy

I'm one of those blokes trying to calculate my ROI. I am 45, sitting at 220 hours and about to do my IFR checkride. I want to knock out my Commercial license in the next 30 days. But i look at how slowly my pilot hours are accruing and recognize that i am looking at years of low income work just to get to 1,500 hours. Presently, i work for a size able corporation, doing work I am tired of and earning a $72k annual salary. I may have a management option in a few years, but do not see myself staying at this company.

But to consider going to work as a CFI for a couple of years just to build time is demoralizing. Then to go make $45k-$60k for a few years as a Regional FO is also hard to imagine. I suppose by years 3-4 i may be back up to my present salary. So easily 4-5 years of going backwards financially from my present income level.

I would hope from there the wages increase significantly. I'd like to make it my career path but with my age, and comfortable living situation i have acquired, its a bit risky. I want to make a smart move and don't want to be a glutton for punishment. Yet, it seems that is somehow built into the industry for new pilots. You have to suffer and get kicked in the balls for a few years before things start to payoff.

I also worry about flying reserve and commuting to base. I'm pretty stuck to where i live in Salt lake due to custody of my kids and the old ex wife.

On the upside, i see wages and bonuses are increasing and i hope that trend continues. I also hope the entire pipeline of pilot opportunities will keep moving so that older guys in my shoes can move up in seniority a little quicker.

Thanks to all of you that provide positive and realistic feedback on these forums!!!