View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 05:37 AM
RJSAviator76
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

My... how quickly people forget. Anyone remember Mesa coming in with 4 50-seat regional jets? The kama'aina were ecstatic that someone was coming in from the mainland to put a hurting on the "big, bad local airlines who were gouging local passengers." Hawaiian happily matched them interisland, even beyond Mesa's capacity, and that match was the "final push" to put Aloha out of business (the third largest employer in the state). Mesa left literally 5 years after Aloha said aloha, and now Hawaiian as the big winner is charging a pretty penny for their fares, charging baggage fees, and has the interisland market all to themselves. Kama'aina loyalty to Hawaiian Air? That's funny. People are only loyal to their bottom dollar if the service is on par... i.e. safe, reliable and on time.

I also wouldn't be so blasé about Southwest coming into the market either... Unlike other start-ups like Mahalo or MidPac or mainland ventures like Mesa's go!, this is a 1000-lbs gorilla that made its name doing quick turns and serving smaller airports coming into the market with the number of aircraft dedicated to the operation exceeding the size of Aloha Airlines at its peak.

Having said that... it'll be interesting to see this whole thing unfold. Personally, I think this is gonna be putting more hurt on Alaska than Hawaiian, at least until interisland spools up, but we'll see.