View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 AM
symbian simian
Line holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A

Originally Posted by PrattFan View Post
Seriously...you don’t think I’ve run the numbers...every year? I shouldn’t have to explain it, but I will so you guys will stop making your claims.

It’s not that hard actually, prescription drugs.

B plan

Per paycheck premiums $353.85 x 24= $8,492.40 + $750 deductible= $9,242.40 max health care costs annually (100% pre tax money with FSA covering the deductible).

Diamond plan

Per paycheck premiums $154.94 x 24= $3,718.56 + $7,000 max out of pocket= $10,718.56 max health care costs annually.
In reality, it would effectively be $12,168.56 since only $6,368.56 (premiums + 2018 FSA limit of $2,650) of total would be with pre-tax money, the remaining $4,350 after tax money would require $5,800 in earnings at the 25% tax bracket.

Here’s the part you guys miss. The $3,000/year company funded account can not be used on prescription drugs. The Diamond plan non-formulary brand prescription drugs (tier 4 drugs) have a 50% copay (min $50/no max) until you reach your max out of pocket. Even brand drugs are 25% copay (min $25/max $300).

When you have a loved one who has a prescription drug need anywhere from $5,000-$15,000 monthly, you could easily reach the max out of pocket ($7,000) in February, all self funded, and haven’t seen a doctor or been to a hospital yet. Meanwhile, the company’s money sits unused because the out of pocket max was reached, and the plan pays the rest. So what, it rolls over, you say? Sure, same thing happens next year, and the next year, and the next.

You guys think in terms of healthy vs. catastrophic. High costs don’t just come from catastrophic events, they also come from expensive drugs associated with chronic illnesses. I’m not alone, I know of pilots and/or their loved ones with MS, cancer, genetic diseases, etc. who are in the same boat on prescription drug costs that make the Diamond plan cost prohibitive. What’s sad, it’s allowable for Spirit’s money to cover drugs, they choose not to allow it. R&I is skeptical that will ever change, but should it, I’ll be on the Diamond plan right along with you. Although, if you know you’ll hit the max out of pocket I’d argue the cost differences would be negligible.

If you are curious what was wrong in the union’s cost analysis? They showed the annual cost for the B plan including the $3,000 max out of pocket. Where that’s misleading, the plan pays 100% after the $250/$750 deductible is met, except for mental healthcare. So unless you have mental healthcare needs, it’s really just the premiums plus the deductible annually, as I showed above, which is $2,250 less than what the union analysis reflected.

This is all a moot point, the B plan is closed to new entrants. So you guys get what you believed to be true, the Diamond plan is best for everybody. Well, except those of us that were on it.
I am curious why you say the union is misleading when they take mental health into account when calculating MOOP.
The way I see it plan B $11,500/year, Diamond $12,500 (I have higher taxes)/year for people who max out everything, so around $80/month difference.
If you forget about mental healthcare (Which with the amount of school shootings we have, I would not), the difference is $200 per month.
If you are lucky and have low cost the difference is $400 per month in favor of Diamond, and you roll over for a bad year.
Unless you are "planning" to have a family member on prescription meds for 2 out of every 3 years of your career without needing mental help, the Diamond plan is better.

I am sure the company cancelled the plan for the exact reason you want to keep it: it is expensive for them and cheap for you if you need the expensive meds on a continuing bases, and that is cheap and wrong from NK.
The bigger issue is medication price as much as anything else but that is a political issue, not one between us and the company.