View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Bluedriver
The REAL Bluedriver

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Airbus Capt

Originally Posted by seekingblue View Post
Good post.

Not sure I have a great answer to your question, since I haven’t seen the final language.

The biggest change will be the PTO sell back @ premium going away and split in PTO banks. I think “forcing” a vacation for folks and having better vacation distribution will be what primarily drive our increased staffing needs.

EDIT: I didn’t see vacation being deducted at 35 vs 24.5. Is that happening for sure? Where are you getting that information?
So I'll refer you back to my first post for the big picture, but also try and address your questions.

The 24.5 for 35 is gone on the VPTO side (the forced vacation side). Not sure about the 72 hours of regular PTO side yet. So that's why no real staffing increase from PTO accrual.

The loss of PTO sell-back at 150% should increase staffing requirements as guys are now more likely to take time off instead of sell back their PTO. But wait! All of the FORCED vacation will take place in Sept, Oct, Jan... No one needs to be forced to take Vaca in June, July or August.... So on the forced Vaca side, I see no additional staffing.

On the additional summer Vaca allocation, the modest increase in Vaca distribution in the summer should drive more staff. However, it will be partially offset on the FO side by the company removing all the OE hours from the FO bid. On the CA side I expect the company will do what it always does, under staff, under-upgrade CAs and run "hot" all summer and will use their self-inflicted short staffing to justify the use of the new "forced vacation buy-back" language to take vacation away as-needed by the company... So... Again I see minimal staffing from Vaca distribution.

We'll all have some better visibility once the language is released.