View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM
FlyBoyd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: FDX 767 FO

Originally Posted by kronan View Post
Why Yes, I did read your post.
Assuming you're referring to the numbers you posted, which I can't quite make sense of.

Can't quite figure out what equipment you're on Earning 175k\year at 850 CHs.

And, can't quite figure out how you figure you're Losing Out.

As a rehash,
you're current high 5 is 130k. Your projected future A plan Pension is 88k.
The VB numbers you provided were reduced to a projected 75k, to account for your expected reduced flying for QOL reasons.

So, math in public here, but you're accumulated A plan pension is 10% of your current FAE, or 13k
Your projected VBP is 75k
So your combined projected pension is 88k.

While I applaud your avoidance of the all mighty $$, I would encourage you to return to a full work schedule sooner rather than later.
Extrapolating out you are foregoing tens of thousands of B fund accumulations, and even worse, approaching a time in life where many of your peers have found themselves sitting on the sidelines-due to unexpected health issues.
You are an accident away from never operating as a pilot again, and while our disability coverage is great, it's always better starting it from a higher value.

That being said, an extra day or two at home can be absolutely priceless.
Just to clarify the numbers in my post #5.

$175K was a small plus up from my 2017 total December paycheck total. 2017 is the most I had worked in a year and included the 76 FO Passover pay and a big (yuge) month during training thanks to School House cash gouge. I’m on track to work less this year as I have in years past.

Yes, $88K is the existing plan.

Yes, $13K is my accumulated A plan.

The $75K I stated is my accumulated A plan plus 85% of the Future Service Pension. This is my worst case. You are double counting my accumulated A Plan in your math above.

VBP Modeler...worst case number is $75K total compensation...best case number is $95K total compensation. All I have to do to get it is upgrade on their timeline and be a WB Capt until I retire.

I sent a pic of my VBP numbers to my block rep and we discussed my methodology. He looked at it and agreed I was doing it correctly.

To be clear....I’m not avoiding dollars. I just don’t chase them. If I need to be home, I’m home. I don’t work how you think I should. I’m fine with that. I do me and you do you.

No pilot left behind is what they say....we’ll see.