View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 AM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Originally Posted by Petie25 View Post
I’m currently active duty AF with 4000 hours TT. I am retiring in a year and have been instructing in a sim for the past 3 years. Can I use my simulator instrument approaches for my approaches flown in the past 6/12 months?
Keep in mind Civilian Sim Instructors are in short supply, just like pilots. Flight Safety is really hurting, to the point NetJets is having to supply Sim Instructors from their pool of Training Captains. American Airlines is advertising for Sim Instructors, as are at least one of their Wholly owned regionals. Since I've lost my medical I'm looking into Sim jobs. American has a Sim Center 10 miles from my house and I've applied there. But I have no IP time so not sure I'll hear from them.

At Flight Safety you teach groundschool and do Sims. Makes for some long days. Last I've heard starting pay was above $80K/yr, and you're home every night.

At American, all you do is Sim instruct. You can choose 17-20 days per month schedule. You can even bid reserve as part of those days and get to stay home if not used. Work day is 6.5 hours long, 2 hour prebrief, 4 hour Sim with break after 2 hours, and 15-30 min debrief. 1st year pay is low $60's, 2nd year in the $70's, 3rd year mid $80's. By 11 years you'll easily make over $150K, and again that's working 6.5 hours per day and sleeping in your own bed every night. And you've got your military retirement on top of that. I'll paste a link to their contract below. You have Union protections so pretty good job security.

Regional to a major airline will definitely pay more in the long run if you don't mind the time away from home.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/b9d21...9e195eacb7.pdf