Thread: Boutique Air
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 08:25 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
I also assume the FAA has never stepped in and said you can't operate with A015 and an SIC either. At least I've never seen anything. However, what's in the OPSPECs is an authorization of what you can do, not what you can't. I don't have A015 in front of me, but I don't think it says anywhere in there where you CAN't operate with an SIC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it says if the pilot is rated and the aircraft type allows it with an appropriate autopilot, the operator MAY operate single-pilot. Paraphrasing of course.

I agree it's not explicitly stated, but that needs to be discussed with the company. The best thing would be to ask the FAA for their interpretation on whether or not A015 can be disreguarded if you have an SIC. I haven't ever seen an interpretatoin on that and I'd be interested in what they say. As always, I bet if you asked 2 FSDOs you'd get 2 different answers.
This is exactly the point. FAA has explicitly stated that you can log PIC if you are sole manipulator of controls, but they have not stated you can log SIC in 135 operation carrying passengers under IFR if you are using the autopilot.
This is the point I'm trying to make here. Logging the PIC time is 100% safe and appropriate and legal, logging SIC time is not.
Logging SIC time is simply widely accepted, but it's murky before someone asks the FAA if it's OK or not.

I don't think anyone should ask the FAA, people might not like the answer.