Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 PM
wetoolow
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Default 4 Failed Primary training Checkrides.....

I know this is a big deal....and this is why I am asking this.

The scars are there....
I have failed 3/8 of the primary check rides that I have taken (CFI SE add on twice), so 4 fails in total;
1. Private ME--Short field Landing (400' long)
2. Comm SE--Chandelle (did not get to max pitch at 90 deg. point)
3. CFI SE Add on--DPE disapproved of the flight for a dirty windshield that deterred our view from the cockpit, as PIC I made a bad decision to take the plane out, and should have cleaned the plane prior to us taxiing.
4. CFI SE Add on (retest)---Failed the Short-field takeoff (airspeed got to 52 KIAS, DPE was not happy, and deservedly so. nerves got the best of me on this one.)

I have all of my ratings up to MEI (PRIV SE,ME, Inst., COM SE, ME, CFI, CFII, MEI).

-Although I would never make excuses for these failures, because YES there are many reasons for these failures and all of them point to me...However, I believe the SE failures were due to me having a total of 8.5 hours in a plane I never flew before between the Com SE and CFI SE for preparation for the check rides (I got my private SE in a DA-20, the COM SE and CFI SE check rides were taken in a C172), as the school I was at only had C172, and I was in an airline career program (I'm sure you can connect the dots as to what school i was at.....).

I have learned from these mistakes. I took the tests again, overcame the issues, and truly do feel like I am a better pilot from these traumatic incidents (and a hell of a lot more humble). After these issues, I have made sure that I am the best damn CFI I can be, as well as I am certain that I will not make this an issue for me at the 121 level.
I am trying to figure out if this is something I can explain and understand the repercussions that they will have for my career, or if this is ultimately something that will limit me in an interview, or even getting hired. I obviously understand I have to cut my teeth at a regional, but what are my chances of getting to a legacy IF I prove that I have learned from these mistakes, and succeed in 121 training? I am not sure if working at a regional the rest of my career is something I want to do, I want to be able to progress, and if this will hinder that, I would like to get some feedback as to how I can progress later in my career.

Will 4 busts be too hard to explain to a panel at a regional/Major/Legacy?
-Is this going to limit as to who I work for?
-Additionally, will this mean I will need more time at a regional? What will this mean in terms of me getting to my goal?

I obviously do not want to quit this, but if another line of work is something I need to accept, then I will accept it as such.

Thank you for your time and input.

Last edited by wetoolow; 06-28-2018 at 06:54 PM.