Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by wetoolow View Post
I know this is a big deal....and this is why I am asking this.

The scars are there....
I have failed 3/8 of the primary check rides that I have taken (CFI SE add on twice), so 4 fails in total;
1. Private ME--Short field Landing (400' long)
2. Comm SE--Chandelle (did not get to max pitch at 90 deg. point)
3. CFI SE Add on--DPE disapproved of the flight for a dirty windshield that deterred our view from the cockpit, as PIC I made a bad decision to take the plane out, and should have cleaned the plane prior to us taxiing.
4. CFI SE Add on (retest)---Failed the Short-field takeoff (airspeed got to 52 KIAS, DPE was not happy, and deservedly so. nerves got the best of me on this one.)

I have all of my ratings up to MEI (PRIV SE,ME, Inst., COM SE, ME, CFI, CFII, MEI).

-Although I would never make excuses for these failures, because YES there are many reasons for these failures and all of them point to me...However, I believe the SE failures were due to me having a total of 8.5 hours in a plane I never flew before between the Com SE and CFI SE for preparation for the check rides (I got my private SE in a DA-20, the COM SE and CFI SE check rides were taken in a C172), as the school I was at only had C172, and I was in an airline career program (I'm sure you can connect the dots as to what school i was at.....).

I have learned from these mistakes. I took the tests again, overcame the issues, and truly do feel like I am a better pilot from these traumatic incidents (and a hell of a lot more humble). After these issues, I have made sure that I am the best damn CFI I can be, as well as I am certain that I will not make this an issue for me at the 121 level.
I am trying to figure out if this is something I can explain and understand the repercussions that they will have for my career, or if this is ultimately something that will limit me in an interview, or even getting hired. I obviously understand I have to cut my teeth at a regional, but what are my chances of getting to a legacy IF I prove that I have learned from these mistakes, and succeed in 121 training? I am not sure if working at a regional the rest of my career is something I want to do, I want to be able to progress, and if this will hinder that, I would like to get some feedback as to how I can progress later in my career.

Will 4 busts be too hard to explain to a panel at a regional/Major/Legacy?
-Is this going to limit as to who I work for?
-Additionally, will this mean I will need more time at a regional? What will this mean in terms of me getting to my goal?

I obviously do not want to quit this, but if another line of work is something I need to accept, then I will accept it as such.

Thank you for your time and input.
Until the pilot shortage gets worse, your best bet is going to an AA WO regional and using the flow as a backup while you try to get in with a career company.