View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Work4life
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Historically it's not that simple. It's been very hard to predict when, if ever, a civilian while get called. Unless you pick up a coveted but rare LCA slot, or have an affirmative action ticket, it's frankly a crapshoot. Also if you miss your "sweet spot" as a civilian your odds actually start to decline as you build more experience (depends on the major).

There are things you can do to improve your odds, but other than LCA nothing is much of a sure thing.

Current market forces will probably minimize the inconsistency, but it's still a risk. Military training will force you to become what airlines want (both pilot and whole person), and they will largely take it at face value... I can easily predict when most military pilots will get called based on their experience and currency.
The last time I checked, great majority of airline pilots are white males (me included) so let's not bring up affirmative action. Having said that, I don't believe in affirmative action especially in our line of work. It should solely be based on qualifications and desirability but I digress.
I agree with your statement regarding the "desirability" factor of a military pilot but I still don't think it's the quickest way to the airlines. Granted there are a lot more civilian trained pilots than military but through hard work, a solid plan, and networking, you can make it to the majors before 30. For a military guy, that's nearly impossible. The only way I can see this happen is to finish college by age 21-22, get picked up by a heavy guard/reserve unit, complete OTS and UPT by 23-24, fly your butt off and be on the fast track to AC/IP, AND then you may have a chance at landing a job at the majors before 30.
Military pilots are a known quantity and the airlines like that but with HR leading the hiring these days, they seem to focus more on diversity and community service rather than aforementioned qualities. Getting back on subject, all of my military buds who've separated/retired got on with the big 3, FedEx, Alaska, or SWA. I think the key is to keep your nose clean and be able to show progression on your resume.