View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 07:37 PM
Happyflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Bluedriver View Post
Large numbers of pilots, if allowed, will stop paying union dues. They will say it is on principle, but it will be individual greed.

My union will have less funds with which to represent me in all manners, the result will be less favorable results.

More pilots will see less results and mistakenly think it's simply because their union is not effective, and will rationalize not paying union dues on principle (greed).

The cycle repeats.

We are so dumb it hurts.
This would only be true if every single pilot at the company had to a job threating carpet dance and the union saved them.
In my experience 90% of the pilots have never needed direct union protection, and in turn the union has to focus 90% of their time and money on the same 10% of knot heads.
Do I wanna pay union dues because the "Union" decided to spend a fortune on someone who shows up drunk, or calls in sick 35 times a year, no. Do I think unions save people's jobs who are a real POS, yes.
Do I wanna pay contract cost, to better my future, sure basic return on investment.
Your only real argument is union dues are insurance against a bad boss, and therefore we should all pay them which I understand.

None of this means SCOTUS incorrectly interpreted free speech, because it may cause harm to a system we value.