View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 07:06 PM
headhunter
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by KTM1524 View Post
So from what I’ve read, the overall consensus on this thread is:

1. Military is the best possible route for the reasons of not going 100k in debt, getting top notch flight training and experience, and having the greatest chance to get hired on by a major in less time than the civilian route would take (may be wrong about that last point so correct me if I am)

2. Flying for a heavy unit would be much more beneficial for me. It would take longer to actually start flying fighters and I would get more hours flying heavies than fighters anyways. Therefore would make it longer for me to be able to eventually fly for an airliner/cargo.

3. Flying heavies gives me more multi engine time, which from what I understand, is more important than center thrust aircraft regardless of the mission complexity of fighters etc etc

I want to serve guys so don’t think I’m just saying this just for the money, but like I said, I’m 24 and I need to start making money to support a wife and eventually a family. Having said that, does anyone know how much a heavy unit pilot flying full-time for ANG makes? I’ve researched online and had all different conflicting reports on it but nothing for sure.

Another thing to keep in mind: you only have a limited time to join and fly for the military (although with their hiring problems at the moment they may extend the maximum age for signing up). In general, if you have any desire to fly in the military you can really only do that when you're young. You don't/won't see 35 year olds at UPT. Yes, the occasional ANG old guy shows up, but that's pretty rare. And as you mentioned, getting the best flying training in the world, and getting paid for it, is having your cake and eating it too.

And flying in the military will give you experiences you simply cannot get anywhere else. I have 28 free fall parachute jumps, glider time, fixed wing time, fighter time, a handful of helicopter rides (night low level on NVG's), and even an AC-130 ride at night shooting live rounds down at Eglin AFB. These are experiences I cherish and you can't get anywhere else; money can't buy them either. And you can always fly for the airlines later in life, like I'm starting to do now after some time in the Air Force and then a desk job for the last decade plus.