View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 PM
bscott58d
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: FO

Originally Posted by planesense View Post
I love the things I hear/read about Republic, and I already have an interview scheduled in a few weeks. However, I'm a little concerned about a few things...

I live close to BNA, have a family and am not interested in moving. So I'll be commuting, but to where most likely? I don't necessarily mind the idea of commuting, but I'm concerned about reserve time, as that would definitely take me away from home a lot more.

I understand I can expect to upgrade in around 2 years, so what will that mean as far as bases go? I know FO junior/senior bases aren't usually the same as CA junior/senior bases.

Another option I have is PSA, which has a crew base 2.5 hours drive time from me (TYS). I'm hearing some negative things about PSA, and I hear mostly positive things about Republic, but with QOL being my number one consideration, I'm wondering if I'd be better off living close to base. I'm told I could easily get the TYS base right out of training, but then I've also heard that PSA forces upgrades and makes people change their bases.

As a side note, my current long-term goal is to fly for SWA.

Appreciate any advice on this... a little bewildered with all the information I'm trying to ingest!
Guys that started in our 4 Dec class are just now holding round two lines in TYS. I can tell you reserve at PSA is less than (way less) than ideal. Our contract is not very well written which leads to scheduling doing basically whatever they want to you. I’ve had reserve I’ve flown a decent amount, some I’ve done squat, some where I wasn’t able to commute home after sitting the first few days and flying the last day of reserve. That doesn’t count changes to flying while out. It’s a mixed bag to say the least and a common compliant from the pilot group. crews I’ve flown with have all be more than professional and personable though.
That said between the two my rec goes to Republic.