View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 04:51 AM
crewdawg

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Jaww View Post
What sq is telling you, you have to deploy? Honestly. Over half of the units I know are voluntary and guys take it to avoid first year pay and drop is sparingly so they can hold a line in categories they never could. This isn’t WWII so I’m less than convinced on the patriotic aspect when dudes in the chow hall are deployed to make sure I’m wearing my reflective belt.
All 3 of my previous deployments have been unit involuntary mobilizations. Our choices are to go in "involuntary" status or "voluntary," which is essentially like picking the fat one or the ugly one. We also have an alert mission that needs filled while the squadron is gone...so pilots are needed/expected to help backfill that if not deploying. Sure you could tell them to screw off, but who wants to do that their squadron mates.

My squadron generally has just over 30 pilots at any given time, with 3 of them being Active duty guys (read: can't go to the airlines). Generally ~18 pilots are full time, including the AD guys. Since 2014 we have had 21 pilot hired by the airlines...of that 21, 16 were full timers (IP/EP, Stan/Eval, DO, etc...). The guys that were hired and eventually came back on orders in my squadron were absolutely needed to run the squadron/man alert. Also, when things get tough and the economy starts to decline, I'm sure the company (and junior pilots) won't mind at all when guys jump back on orders.

Originally Posted by Jaww View Post
I’m not knocking my brothers and sisters serving. Many are doing great things. But USERRA is not meant for this constant BS of a war (wars) we are in. They are conflicts. Again, my opinion. Awaiting inbound spears.
Nor was the Guard/Reserve, but here we are...