View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 08:38 AM
CactusCrew
Tri-tanic operator

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie

Originally Posted by c5pilot11 View Post
Interested in the story behind buying a house. Are you saying the risk you might not make it through your first year? How often does that actually happen? Or just the financial strain of buying a home according to year 2 pay and eating pop tarts and Ramen while trying to make your house payment for the first year?
How often does that actually happen ? Depends on the individual. Every airline has "right-sized" within a few years after I've been on property. I've been at UPS long enough, you should be safe.

At my first airline, after 1.5-2 years, went from almost upgrade to almost furloughed in a few months. Parked half their fleet during a merger, FWIW.

#2 went bankrupt 8 months after I was at #3 ... Lucky me !

#3 furloughed hundreds after 9/11, not lucky this time !

UPS might not furlough again in the near future, but they will move bodies around and displace/realign indiscriminately. The furlough may have only been 109, the details have been bemoaned enough already. Hundreds more were churned around the bottom of the list as the airline realigned and optimized itself.

Just don't take a dive into the pool while you are still at the shallow end. Get your feet wet first, proceed with caution.