View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 06:34 PM
JungleJetDriver
Tin Can Time

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Entitled Newb

Originally Posted by RJSAviator76 View Post
That's your handicap right there.

Corporate guys generally don't want to be airline pilots. Just ask them. They'll just use us for a type rating and use the first opportunity to leave us for another better corporate gig.

Corporate pilots make horrible airline pilots. They can't handle not filing flight plans or loading bags or fetching coffee, ice and paper. Furthermore, they tend to always want to be the big fish in a small pond, and make lousy FO's. Then the confusion ensues when they're actually expected to fly every other leg from takeoff to touchdown... as FO's!!!! I won't even go into strut-wiping...

Corporate pilots don't know how the airline pilot world works, so we prefer you get some time under your belt at some podunk regional first before applying at this level.

Corporate pilots tend to be anti-union. All airline pilots at this level are unionized.

Corporate pilots always whine about hotel points or AvTrip points. You can kiss your Marriott Rewards or Hilton Honors Platinum goodbye unless you're a commuter maybe...

Corporate pilots are used to FBO lounges everywhere. At Southwest, we can only get a day room if our delay or time between flights is over 4 hours, which means you'll be slumming it in the terminal quite a bit. That means no Fox News, no Signature popcorn, no good-looking FBO girls, no lazyboys unless in the pilot lounge at one of our domiciles, and even then they tend to be subpar (ATL notwithstanding).

Corporate pilots aren't used to dealing with TSA. You no longer get to park your car at the hangar. Not only that, but at Southwest, you pay for your parking unless you're DAL-based.

Talk to a corporate pilot and they'll always say that the worst part of their job is airlining to/from their airplane. You do that a lot over here. You'll deadhead all over the system and you'll be exposed to the riff-raff in the back the whole time. Why would you do that to yourself?

Corporate pilots are used to catering and in-flight culinary wonders. We don't have catering. We have provo, and our in-flight culinary wonders include pretzels and chips. We are officially de-nutted as of August 1.

Simply put... being an airline pilot is beneath you, so the question is.... why on earth would you want to come here?
Touché my, Touché.
Flying for a major airline is for some, the pinnacle of being a professional pilot. The training, SOP’s, the true crew environment are all part of the appeal of flying with true aviators. And not some of the cowboys that scrape by shooting from the hip to hold the title of “pilot”that we see so often on the part 91 side. And partly chasing heavier metal, schedules and money. After awhile the leash gets tight being on call 24/7 with no schedule. My flight departments have been single aircraft with two pilots. Not your Bank of America, Amway, GE, Coke a Cola fleet.
I did a 3 year sentence at Expressjet based in ORD and loved the flying, hated the company. And thanked God for the ALPA. The idea of showing up at my assigned schedule to just fly the plane and NOT manage scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, set up rental cars, turn in financial reports of flight department expenditures and expense reports, ensuring that the boss and his group know how to get to their meeting or luxury resort. To Not have to hold the hand of a seemingly intelligent adult to make sure they have not forgotten their briefcase, iPad, phone, jacket, sunglasses. Etc. Etc. Etc.