Old 10-03-2018, 02:14 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Mikeyrb1 View Post
Quick question about whether I should report Sleep Apnea on my medical questionnaire or even bring it up. I was tested for sleep apnea last year and the results were inconclusive, but leaning toward "it doesn't look like you have sleep apnea". However, my doctor wanted me to get another study done to verify for some reason.

I am looking at getting my 1st class medical soon after a long hiatus, and just want to make sure I cross my I's and dot my T's before I go in. I just had a physical and everything checked out, but I still have the Sleep Apnea thing on my record, even though it was inconclusive.

So what would be the best course of action here?
I don't think you have a choice. You have to report the consultation with a health-care provider regardless. That will lead to a discussion of the findings, and you don't want to lie...

Since the doc left you in limbo, I would recommend doing the follow-ups and get a definitive answer BEFORE you get a medical. I can just about guarantee you that "doesn't think you have it, but wants more tests" = denied medical. FAA is pretty hard-over on OSA right now, that and mental health are the hot-buttons du jour.

You might consult with AOPA, AMAS, etc.

If you do have OSA, you can probably fly with treatment (but that might be an SI).