Thread: Fatigue is BS
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Big E 757
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat

Originally Posted by GuppyPuppy View Post
My company had a fatigue training module last year that told us we should get sleep at consistent times each day.

Then they build 5-day trips with 3 circadian flips.

If you complain, their response is, "It's legal!"

Gup
When I was in my 20’s and early 30’s, I had no problem sleeping when I could, and either getting up at 3-4 am and working till mid afternoon, or being up till 12-1 am with very little problem staying awake and alert. What kills me these days is when I have one trip with late night flying, getting to the hotel around 1 am every night (morning) and then a day or two off at home where I’m not getting to sleep till late, but getting up for my wife and getting the kids off to school to give her a break, and then the next trip is all early mornings with 4 am pickups at the hotel.

After 8 or so days of that, I’m toast. I’ll be sitting on the couch staring off into space. My wife will say, “Why don’t you go to bed?” and even though I’m exhausted, I know it’s going to be a while before I fall asleep. After that many days of having an upset sleep schedule, I’m very fatigued, but I’ve been trying to stay awake for so long, I can’t just hit the off button and go to sleep.

I’m sure together, with some CIA guys at a black ops site, we could come up with a week long program to introduce this reporter to “fatigue”.